Community Affairs Publications and Resources
Learn about upcoming events, initiatives, and education resources related to financial literacy in this bimonthly newsletter. The information in the Financial Literacy Update was obtained from publicly available sources. Inclusion of a non-OCC event, activity, product, or hyperlink in this newsletter does not constitute an endorsement by the OCC. The OCC does not exercise editorial control over any of the information you may find when linking to non-OCC websites and cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
- July/August 2019
- May/June 2019 (PDF)
- March/April 2019 (PDF)
- January/February 2019 (PDF)
- November/December 2018 (PDF)
- September/October 2018 (PDF)
Get the key facts on innovative products and services, investment vehicles, and government programs and initiatives related to community development and consumer banking.
- Affordable Mortgage Lending Opportunities: Exemptions Under the Ability-to-Repay Rule (PDF)
- Bank Enterprise Award Program (PDF)
- Bank-Owned Community Development Corporations (PDF)
- Bank Savings Incentive Programs (PDF)
- CDFI Certification for National Banks and Federal Savings Associations (PDF)
- CRA: Community Development Loans, Investments, and Services (PDF)
- CRA: Community Reinvestment Act (PDF)
- Designated Disaster Areas and CRA (PDF)
- Federal Home Loan Bank Programs for Community Investments (PDF)
- FHA's 203(b) Purchase Money Loan Guarantee Program (PDF)
- FHA's 203(k) Loan Program (PDF)
- FHLB Government Mortgage-Backed Security Program (PDF)
- Financial Capability (PDF)
- Historic Tax Credit Program (PDF)
- HUD Section 184 Indian Home Loan Guarantee Program (PDF)
- HUD Title VI Loan Guarantee Program (PDF)
- Indian Loan Guarantee, Insurance, and Interest Subsidy Program (PDF)
- Individual Development Accounts (PDF)
- Investing in Wind Energy under the Public Welfare Investment Authority (PDF)
- Leveraging Earned Income Tax Credits to Reach New Bank Customers (PDF)
- Low Income Housing Tax Credits (PDF)
- Multi-Bank Partnerships for Community Development Financing (PDF)
- New Markets Tax Credits (PDF)
- Partnering with USDA's Rural Development: The Community Facilities Guaranteed Loan Program (PDF)
- Partnerships with Minority- and Women-Owned Financial Institutions and Low-Income Credit Unions (PDF)
- Public Welfare Investments (PDF)
- Public Welfare Investments in Solar Energy Facilities Using Renewable Energy Investment Tax Credit (PDF)
- Rural Housing Service Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program (PDF)
- SBA 7(a) Guaranteed Loan Program (PDF)
- SBA Certified Development Company/504 Loan Program (PDF)
- SBA Small Business Development Centers (PDF)
- SBA's Community Advantage 7(a) Loan Initiative (PDF)
- SBA's Small Business Investment Company Program (PDF)
- School-Based Bank Savings Programs (PDF)
- Submitting National Bank Public Welfare Investment Filings Using CATS (PDF)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Home Loan Guaranty Program (PDF)
- USDA Rural Development Business and Industry Guaranteed Loans (PDF)
- USDA Rural Housing Finance Programs (PDF)
Learn about products, services, and initiatives focused on investments, and services aimed at traditionally-underserved markets segments. Each Insights discusses how selected products or initiatives operate, why they might be of interest to other banks, and associated risks or regulatory considerations.
- SBA's Certified Development Company/504 Loan Program: Small Businesses' Window to Wall Street (PDF) (December 2018)
Provides an overview of the SBA's 504 Loan Program, which is used to finance long-term assets, such as owner-occupied commercial real estate and heavy machinery, at competitive rates.
- USDA's Business and Industry Guaranteed Loan Program (PDF) (September 2018)
This report provides an overview of the program, which guarantees a portion of loans made by banks and other approved lenders to eligible businesses located in rural areas.
- Historic Tax Credits: Bringing New Life to Older Communities (PDF) (August 2017)
This updated report describes how the Historic Tax Credit program operates, outlines the risks and regulatory considerations of participation in the program, and discusses how investments in these transactions may be considered under the Community Reinvestment Act.
- School-Based Bank Savings Programs: Bringing Financial Education to Students (PDF) (March 2017)
A discussion of how school-based bank savings programs operate.
- Commercial Lending in Indian Country: Potential Opportunities in a Growing Market (PDF) (February 2016)
This report discusses the unique opportunities and challenges of lending in Indian Country and provides banks with background on the market, regulatory considerations, and best practices by successful lenders.
- Small Business Investment Companies: Investment Option for Banks (PDF) (September 2015)
Describes the Small Business Investment Company (SBIC), how banks can use SBICs to expand their small-business finance activities, and what risks and regulatory considerations are involved.
- Bankers' Guide to the SBA 7(a) Loan Guaranty Program (PDF) (December 2014)
This updated report describes how lenders can use the SBA 7(a) program to meet the needs of a variety of creditworthy small business customers.
- Community Development Loan Funds: Partnership Opportunities for Banks (PDF) (October 2014)
This Insights report describes how partnerships between banks and community development loan funds, when structured and implemented appropriately, can help banks and CDLFs further their business and civic goals.
- Low-Income Housing Tax Credits: Affordable Housing Investment Opportunities for Banks (PDF) (March 2014)
This updated report describes low-income housing tax credits and how they can be used by banks to support the development of affordable rental housing.
- New Markets Tax Credits: Unlocking Investment Potential (PDF) (June 2013)
This updated report describes new markets tax credits (NMTC) and how banks can use NMTCs to support community and economic development activities.
- FHA 203(k) Mortgage Insurance Program: Helping Banks and Borrowers Revitalize Homes and Neighborhoods (PDF) (May 2013)
Describes the Federal Housing Administration's (FHA) 203(k) Rehabilitation Mortgage Insurance, an important financial tool that enables borrowers to purchase and rehabilitate properties.
- SBA's and Export-Import Bank's Working Capital Loan Guarantee Programs (PDF) (April 2011)
Highlighting two federal loan guarantee programs that help lenders and business borrowers finance the export of goods and services.
- Property Disposition: Exploring Different Approaches for Preserving Affordable Housing Opportunities (PDF) (March 2009)
A review of partnership building strategies among key stakeholders working to create affordable housing opportunities and revitalize areas affected by foreclosed properties.
- Reaching Minority Markets: Community Bank Strategies (PDF) (November 2006)
Examines selected strategies community banks use to target specific minority markets.
- Individual Development Accounts: An Asset Building Product for Lower-Income Consumers (PDF) (February 2005)
Examines how banks use these accounts to encourage lower-income individuals to save money and build assets to meet financial goals.
This newsletter captures the creative ideas of bankers and community development practitioners investing in community development, and identifies common features that can be applied to other investments. It presents investment opportunities in the OCC Districts, and provides links to related resources, including the OCC's public welfare investment authority (12 CFR 24).
- Expanding Internet Access: Bank Financing for Rural Broadband Initiatives (November 2018): This edition of Community Developments Investments highlights how national banks and federal savings associations can help rural communities across the nation gain reliable, high-speed internet access through the development of broadband networks.
- Profitable Partnerships: Collaborating With Minority Depository Institutions (May 2018) highlights how minority depository institution (MDI) collaborations with large and midsize banks can be profitable for the parties involved and help MDIs fulfill their missions and serve customers in a rapidly evolving industry.
- Expanding Housing Opportunities: Single-Family Rehabilitation Financing Programs (February 2018) highlights how minority, low-income, and distressed communities benefit from bank lending and federal loan programs, as well as recent OCC guidance on targeted higher-loan-to-value lending programs.
- Preserving Affordable Housing: Innovative Partnerships (March 2017): This newsletter describes the innovative approaches that national banks and federal savings associations are using to help preserve the nation's supply of affordable multifamily rental properties, ranging from predevelopment financing to new debt products and mission-driven equity investment structures.
- Housing Financing in Indian Country: Spotlight on HUD’s Title VI Program (September 2016). This Community Developments Investments spotlights the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Title VI Loan Guarantee Program, which provides an additional source of funding for Indian tribes receiving federal Indian Housing Block Grants for affordable housing activities.
- Financing Health Care Centers: Supporting Community Wellness (June 2016). Articles discuss partnerships banks are forming to help finance the construction and expansion of community health centers. The articles provide an overview of the financing environment and describe the tools available to banks interested in health center financing.
- Hardest Hit Fund: State Programs to Improve Loan Modification Sustainability and Stabilize Communities (Updated September 2016): This issue provides examples of innovative ways state housing finance agencies are using funds from the U.S. Department of the Treasury to help homeowners in areas still struggling to recover from the housing crisis.
- Small Multifamily Rental Property Financing (May 2015): This issue describes what the small multifamily rental housing market looks like, some of the challenges the market faces, and the range of ways that banks and federal savings associations are active players in the market.
- Financing Business Development and Expansion in Rural America (November 2013): This issue focuses on initiatives that have allowed banks to expand their financing for small business development in rural areas across America.
- Investing in Wind Energy Using the Public Welfare Investment Authority (Fall 2013): This issue examines how banks can be a source of financing for facilities that generate renewable wind energy.
- Extending Credit in Indian Country (August 2013): This issue highlights some best practices, challenges, and Community Reinvestment Act treatment of investments, service, and credit extension made by national banks and federal savings associations in Indian Country.
- Strategies for Leveraging the State Small Business Credit Initiative (February 2013)
This issue explores how banks can use the SSBCI Program to help meet the needs of small business borrowers.
- Bank Financing of Healthy-Food Initiatives (August 2012) (PDF): This issue explores how banks can help finance the growing effort to transform low-income communities lacking grocery stores into thriving markets.
- Ending Homelessness: Financing Permanent Supportive Housing (February 2012) (PDF): This issue highlights how financial institutions can support community goals to end homelessness by providing financing to developers of permanent supportive housing.
- Investing in Solar Energy Using the Public Welfare Investment Authority (PDF) (July 2011): This issue highlights the innovative investments national banks have made in solar energy-producing facilities using their public welfare investment authority.
Charter School Financing Opportunities (PDF) (Spring 2011): This issue provide background information about charter schools, discusses the availability of federal, state, and local resources to support the financing of charter schools, and includes case studies of financing structures provided by banks.
- Public Welfare Investments: A Catalyst for Community Development (PDF) (Fall 2010): This issue provide background information about charter schools, discusses the availability of federal, state, and local resources to support the financing of charter schools, and includes case studies of financing structures provided by banks.
Community Developments Spotlights
These publications focus on safe and sound approaches to community development financing and facilitating financial accessibility to underserved communities and consumers.
- A Guide to Mortgage Lending in Indian Country (PDF)
Covers Indian lands, trust lands, tribal sovereignty, and civil jurisdiction and includes a list of government resources.
- Effective Strategies for Community Development Finance (PDF)
Provides information on practices banks use in community development finance and community development resources and tools
|01/25/2019||NR 2019-7,||OCC Promotes Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day|
|11/26/2018||NR 2018-126,||OCC Publication Discusses Importance of Bank Financing for Rural Broadband Initiatives|
|10/25/2018||NR 2018-113,||Federal Financial Institutions Regulatory Agencies Announce Availability of 2017 Small Business, Small Farm, and Community Development Lending Data|